Buildings of the Order of St.John of Jerusalem, of Rhodes and of Malta, at the Convent and in the provinces.
Sunday, 3 May 2015
St George, Qormi (Citta Pinto)
Qormi was one of the ten original parishes of Malta. The present church dedicated to St George is the thrid building on the site dates from 1585, incorporating the site and stones from the earlier structures. St George was enlarged in 1684 by Lorenzo Gafa with an elegant facade, a cruciform shape and an imposing dome. The church was dedicated on 6th May 1731.
The titular painting of St George the Martyr is the last known work by Mattia Preti.