The Augustinian Friars came to Malta in 1383, their first priory was situated just outside the walls of Mdina. The friary was demolished in 1551 because of a Turkish attack on the island. In 1555 Bishop Cubelles and the Cathedral Chapter gave the friars the old church of St Mark in Rabat to build a new friary. Work on the friary, designed by Gerolamo Cassar began in September 1556. In 1571 Cassar started on the new church of St Mark, completed in 1588.