The small village of Balzan was elevated to the status of a parish in the 17th century. The village was named after Maximillian Balzan a Spanish merchant who settled in Malta in 1567. He was granted the land where the village now stands for services to the Order of St John.
The parish church dedicated to the Annunciation of Our Lady dates from the mid 17th century in the form of a Latin cross, with one belfry and an elegant dome. The foundation stone was laid in 1669 and the church was completed in 1693. The facade is rather unusual with elongated pilasters and rich lace-like decoration that give it a Spanish feel.